- About the CCA
- CCA Membership
- Conference and Events
- Careers in Cartography
- Cartographic Education
- Map Libraries
- Web Indices
- Cartography related associations and societies
- Journals, newsletters, etc.
- Government of Canada Departments
- Independent Companies, Agencies or Individuals
- Other cartography related sites
*** This page is constantly evolving. If you have any sites you feel should be added to this page, please contact the CCA Webmaster.
University with Cartography and GIS web sites
- http://www.geog.ubc.ca/~brian/Klinkenberg_Teaching.html British Columbia (Brian Klinkenberg) GIS, cartography, links
http://www.geog.ubc.ca/martha/ ‘MARTHA’ : Multimedia Arcview Research and Tutorial Help Assistant
- www.uiowa.edu/~geog/health/ Iowa (Marc Armstrong) GIS and Public Health site, study of infant mortality
- www.gis.unbc.ca Northern BC (Roger Wheate) course notes in cartography, GIS and remote sensing
- www.geog.utoronto.ca/cartweb/cartpage.html Toronto (Byron Moldofsky) Cartography Office and links
- www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/gis Geomatics program at Waterloo is offered by the Department of Geography and Environmental Management
- publish.uwo.ca/~mcdaniel/weblinks/carto.html Western Ontario (Robert McDaniel, Prof. Emeritus) (links!)
University Geography departments with cartographic component
- dsf.uqac.ca/teleair/ (Laboratoire de télédétection aérienne de l’UQAC / Laboratory of airborne remote sensing of UQAC)
- dept.kent.edu/geography/ Kent State
- www.geo.msu.edu Michigan State University – Geographic Information Science, Geospatial Technologies, Remote Sensing
- www.geography.ryerson.ca Ryerson (Susan Laskin, Andrew Millward, and Claus Rinner) Geomatics courses and GIS modules for teachers
- www.maxwell.syr.edu/geo/indexgeo.htm Syracuse (Mark Monmonier) Geographic Information Technology
- artsandscience.usask.ca/geography/ Saskatchewan – Remote Sensing, GIS
- www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=149&p=11677 Wilfrid Laurier – Cartography and GIS
- www.wlu.ca/~wwwgeog/wlgpig/wlgpigmain.htm Grad program with Waterloo: courses/ research projects
- www.uwinnipeg.ca/~mcgregor/ Winnipeg (Brian McGregor) Cartography and GIS, moving maps
Colleges: diplomas in Cartography and GIS
- www.algonquincollege.com/gis Algonquin, Ottawa diploma and evening certificate course.
- www.cogs.ns.ca Centre of Geographic Sciences, NS (Ada Cheung and David Raymond) GIS/RS/cartography diplomas.
- http://flemingcollege.ca/programs/geographic-information-systems-cartographic-specialist Sir Sandford Fleming, Lindsay (Tim Wykes) cartography, gallery.
- www.library.ualberta.ca/subject/maps/index.cfm Alberta (David Jones) Wonders Map Collection
- www.library.mun.ca/qeii/maps/index.php Memorial University (Dan Duda/David Mercer) Newfoundland & Labrador map bibliography and images, guides to ArcView/MapInfo, R.A. Skelton materials
- libweb.uoregon.edu/map/ University of Oregon Map Library, Images, symposiums, GIS data
- www.ssc.uwo.ca/assoc/acml/toolkit.html ACMLA listing of map libraries at bottom of page
- University of Waterloo: Cartographic Resources Links to sites containing maps, charts, remote sensing images and other spatial data.
- Oddens’ Bookmarks, the fascinating world of maps and mapping
- INTUTE (UK) – is a free online service that helps you to find the best web resources for your studies and research.
Cartography related associations and societies
- Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives (ACMLA)
- British Cartographic Society (BCS)
- target=”_blank”Canadian Institute of Geomatics
- Cartography and Geographic Information Society (CaGIS)
- Cartography Specialty Group (AAG)
- International Cartographic Association (ICA)
- International Map Collectors’ Society (IMCoS)
- NEMO (North East Map Organization) North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS)
- Society for the History of Discoveries
- Society of Cartographers
Journals, newsletters, etc.
- Canadian Geographic– Articles on Canada and great maps
- The Cartographic Journal
- Cartographic Perspectives (NACIS)
- Cartographica: The International Journal for Geographic Information and Geovisualization
- Cartography and Geographic Information Science (CaGIS)
- Geomatica (formerly CISM Journal ACSGC)
- MapForum.Com (Specialist Antique Map Magazine)
Government of Canada Departments
- Canada-Nunavut Geoscience Office
- Canadian Hydrographic Service – Nautical Charts and Services
- Canadian Space Agency
- Canadian World Heritage Sites
- Centre for Topographic Information – national topographic mapping agency, responsible for the acquisition, management and dissemination of topographic information for the Canadian landmass.
- Environmental Protection Branch (EPB): Atlantic Region – Includes 3 divisions: (1) Enforcement Division, (2) Toxics Management Division, and (3) Pollution Prevention Division.
- Geological Survey of Canada – Atlantic
- GeoConnections – helps decision-makers use online location-based (or “geospatial”) information, such as maps and satellite images, to tackle some of Canada’s most pressing challenges and includes the Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure.
- National Atlas of Canada
- Natural Resources Canada
- Canadian Atlases since 1945 – A Bibliography
- Canada Centre for Remote Sensing – the government of Canada’s centre of expertise for space-based remote sensing science and technology; supporting the use of Earth observation data and information for over 30 years.
- Canadian Forest Service – promotes the sustainable development of Canada’s forests and the competitiveness of the Canadian forest sector.
- Canada’s Forests – maps and statistics
- GeoConnections Discovery Portal
- Geographical Names of Canada
- Geological Survey of Canada – Canada’s premier agency for geoscientific information and research, with world-class expertise focusing on geoscience surveys, sustainable development of Canada’s resources, environmental protection, and technology innovation.
- National Air Photo Library
- NRCan Library – Ottawa (Earth Sciences) – Large collection of books, serials and maps in the earth sciences with world-wide coverage, with two main areas of interest: Geology and Geomatics.
- Statistics Canada
Independent Companies, Agencies or Individuals
- Adobe – Graphics Software.
- Avenza Systems Inc (Toronto) – creators of MAPublisher and Geographic Imager
- Caliper Corporation (Peter Van Demark) – Maptitude GIS (with Canadian geographic and demographic data) and TransCAD + Web versions
- Canadian Geographic (Steve Fick) Canadian Geographic (Steve Fick) Articles on Canada and great maps
- Corel – Multiple products, including Graphics Software.
- ESRI Canada – GIS Software Products.
- GISuser.com is a leading Geospatial technology news and information portal. It provides a wealth of information about GIS and geospatial technologies including news, articles, webmap gallery, data resources, community forums, career postings, RFPs and much more.
- Intergraph Canada – Geospatially Powered Solutions
- IDRISI (Ron Eastman) GIS software with tutorials, workbooks, resources
- KHEOPS technologies (Montreal) – Including JMap, an open solution for publishing interactive spatial applications over enterprise, public, and mobile networks.
- Pitney Bows Mapinto – is a powerful Microsoft® Windows®-based mapping and geographic analysis application from the experts in location intelligence
- MicroImages – Producers of TNTmips: A complete fully featured GIS, RDBMS, and automated image processing system with CAD, TIN, surface modeling, map layout and innovative data publishing tools. TNTlite is a FREE geospatial analysis system designed for students and learning projects, with identical features of TNTmips.
- NAV CANADA – Aeronautical Information Products
- Newfoundland Tourism, Culture & Recreation, Newfoundland
- PCI Geomatics – a Canadian Software developer that has built ACE (Advanced Cartographic Environment).
Other cartography related sites
- Cartographers Guild This is a “forum for cartography enthusiasts” that specializes in maps of fictional realms, as commonly used in both novels and games (both tabletop and role-playing), many Guild members are also proficient in historical and contemporary maps. It was created by and for map makers and aficionados, a place where every aspect of cartography can be admired, examined, learned, and discussed.
- GRASS (Geographic Resources Analysis Support System) – free Geographic Information System (GIS) software used for geospatial data management and analysis, image processing, graphics/maps production, spatial modeling, and visualization.
- iMapBC – a window to natural resource information in British Columbia
- MapPlace.ca – facilitates easy access to the maps and databases of the BC Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources.
- Minnesota DNR Garmin Application – was built to provide users the ability to directly transfer data between Garmin GPS handheld receivers and various GIS software packages.
- NASA’s Earth Observatory – maps and images
- Ontario Schools Map-Making Competition – Computer / geography education focused Ontario Schools Map-Making Competition site. Students, traditionally 12 to 18 years old from over 4500 schools are invited to create static digital or hand drawn maps for competition in 1 of 5 divisions.
- University of Manchester (UK) – Maps and Society; Including Mapping Manchester: Cartographic Stories of the City (PDF), in the Rylands Library, Deansgate until 17th January 2010.