- About the CCA
- CCA Membership
- Conference and Events
- Careers in Cartography
Canadian Cartographic Association Presidents Prize
This CCA mapping competition recognizes excellence in student map design and production and is open to all students who have completed and produced a cartographic cartographic thematic map in the preceding school year.
The CCA Presidents Prize consists of two prizes of $250, one for entries from college-level or CEGEP students, and one for entries from university-level students in the following category:
- A thematic map on any subject. A thematic map is a map that is meant to communicate a specific single subject matter within a particular geographic area. They are often defined as special purpose maps and can be either quantitative or qualitative in nature. The International Cartographic Association (ICA) defines the thematic map this way: “A map designed to demonstrate particular features or concepts. In conventional use this term excludes topographic maps” (Dent 1999, 8).
More CCA Awards & Scholarships
The cartographic project will consist of a single map. There are no restrictions on size but the project must have been completed and produced during the school year preceding the competition. Each entry must be accompanied by a clear and succinct statement of design objectives that will weigh heavily in the judges’ decision.
Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity and overall effectiveness in communication as well as excellence in compilation, design, and layout.
Entries are invited from all Canadian post-secondary students (Note: Although there is no specific category set aside, entries from High School students are welcome, and will be considered).
All entries should be accompanied using the official online entry form below (if there are any issues using the form, then please do contact us for help).
When submitting content, students are also providing consent that the CCA may use copies of their maps on the CCA website and in various publications (CCA does not assume any ownership or copyright for the content).
Note: The deadline for applications for this mapping competition is May 31st, 2023.
CCA Mapping Competition – Presidents Prize Application Form
Note: Fields marked with a * are required
Past CCA Presidents Prize Recipients
President’s Prize (University Level)
- 2022 – Daniel Kogan, Toronto Metropolitan University [Map Title: “Mapping Definitions of Rurality in Ontario”]
- 2021 – Yichun Du, Ryerson University
[Map Title: “Cycling in Calgary: Is the current bike infrastructure meeting the demands within the city boundary?”]
- 2020 – Jessica Budhoo, Ryerson University
[Map Title: “You are What you eat: the Cycle”]
- 2019 – Nebojsa Stulic, Ryerson University
[Map Title: “East Asians in USA: Demographic Trends of Diverse Population”]
- 2018 – Henry V Godnitz, University of Regina
[Map Title: “The Saga of the Vinlanders”]
Presidents Prize (College Level)
- 2022 – Peter Atwood, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “Shipwrecks of Nova Scotia”]
- 2021 – Kevin Chen, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “Acadian Deportation in 1755”]
- 2020 – Thomas Zuberbuehler, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “Digby Area · Trails, Lighthouses and Open Spaces“]
- 2019 – Thomas Zuberbuehler, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “The Flying Bluenose”]
- 2018 – Johnny Eaton, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “Oh the Humanity”]