- About the CCA
- CCA Membership
- Conference and Events
- Careers in Cartography
This CCA mapping competition recognizes excellence in student map design and production and is open to all post-secondary students who have completed and produced a cartographic project in the preceding school year.
The President’s Prize Award consists of two prizes of $250, one for entries from college-level or CEGEP students, and one for entries from university-level students in the following category:
- A thematic map on any subject. A thematic map is a map that is meant to communicate a specific single subject matter within a particular geographic area. They are often defined as special purpose maps and can be either quantitative or qualitative in nature. The International Cartographic Association (ICA) defines the thematic map this way: “A map designed to demonstrate particular features or concepts. In conventional use this term excludes topographic maps” (Dent 1999, 8).
More CCA Awards & Scholarships
The cartographic project will consist of a single map. There are no restrictions on size but the project must have been completed and produced during the school year preceding the competition. Each entry must be accompanied by a clear and succinct statement of design objectives that will weigh heavily in the judges’ decision.
Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity and overall effectiveness in communication as well as excellence in compilation, design, and layout.
Entries are invited from all Canadian post-secondary students. All entries should be accompanied by an official entry form (Students can either use the online form included below or the digital PDF version). By submitting your entry you are also providing consent that the CCA may post a copy of your map on the CCA website.
After you submit the entry form, a member of the CCA will contact you with instructions on how to submit a digital copy of your map.
The deadline for applications for this mapping competitions has been extended to May 14th, 2021.
CCA Mapping Competition – President’s Prize Application Form
Note: Fields marked with a * are required
President’s Prize (University Level)
- 2020 – Jessica Budhoo, Ryerson University
[Map Title: “You are What you eat: the Cycle”]
- 2019 – Nebojsa Stulic, Ryerson University
[Map Title: “East Asians in USA: Demographic Trends of Diverse Population”]
- 2018 – Henry V Godnitz, University of Regina
[Map Title: “The Saga of the Vinlanders”]
President’s Prize (College Level)
- 2020 – Thomas Zuberbuehler, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “Digby Area · Trails, Lighthouses and Open Spaces“]
- 2019 – Thomas Zuberbuehler, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “The Flying Bluenose”]
- 2018 – Johnny Eaton, Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS)
[Map Title: “Oh the Humanity”]